My Morning Ritual: 90 Days of Matcha Instead of Coffee


*I swapped my daily coffee for matcha 90 days ago—here’s how it transformed my mornings with sustained energy, no crashes, and a surprisingly calm focus I never knew I needed.*


Heads up: some links in this post are affiliate links. If you buy through them, NutriStack Lab earns a small commission — you don't pay anything extra.

My Morning Ritual: 90 Days of Matcha Instead of Coffee

morning ritual days matcha instead coffee
My setup during the first month of testing.
Three things I wish I'd known:
  • The first few weeks were a period of adjustment, with no immediate changes in my energy levels.
  • My focus and clarity changed subtly over time, more than I initially anticipated from switching to matcha.
  • Timing became crucial; drinking matcha at specific times throughout the day influenced both my productivity and mood.

It took me three weeks to realize I was taking matcha all wrong. The first few sips always felt like a jolt, but then an hour later, my energy would plummet. My focus wouldn't stick and by midday, I'd be dragging myself through meetings. It wasn't the calm alertness I craved. What if there was something else I was missing?

Why I Almost Didn't Try It

Why i almost didn't try it
Why I Almost Didn't Try It: slower to kick in than I expected.

So I was sitting there one morning, staring at my usual cup of black coffee, thinking about how much easier it would be to just keep doing what I'd always done. Coffee's been my go-to for years—no questions asked, no weird side effects, and definitely not the kind of thing that makes me feel like a science experiment. But then I saw this article about matcha, all these people talking about how it gives you steady energy without the crash. In my experience? I laughed at first. Like, what's the deal with green tea powder? It sounds more complicated than just grabbing a coffee.

But the point is: my caffeine tolerance had gone through the roof lately. I'd started feeling that weird jittery buzz even after two cups of black coffee, and by midday, I was crashing harder than ever. My doctor said It wasn't healthy to rely on so much caffeine, but I kept telling myself, "I've always done this." Still, something about the idea of swapping out my morning ritual for a weird green powder stuck in my head like a bad meme.

I remember talking to my coworker Sarah one day. She'd been trying matcha for months and said it was basically her new obsession. "It's not just energy," she insisted. "You feel more focused, like your brain isn't racing around." I rolled my eyes—sure, whatever. But then I started thinking about how much time I spent on the computer all day. Maybe that focus thing wasn't so far-fetched.

So I decided to try it. The first week was brutal. Preparing matcha is like trying to make coffee with a spoon and a blender—messy, tedious, and to be direct, kind of gross. Plus, the taste? It's not exactly sweet or bitter in the way you'd expect. More like earthy, which I guess makes sense since it's made from leaves. But here's where my skepticism kicked in: after three days of drinking matcha, I didn't feel any different than usual. No afternoon energy improvement, no crash, just… nothing.

Then came the week someone was staying with me. My routine completely fell apart—meals got delayed, sleep schedules shifted, and for a few days, I just stopped tracking everything. It felt like my whole system had reset. When things went back to normal, I noticed something odd: even though I hadn't been drinking matcha during that week, I didn't feel the usual post-caffeine crash in the afternoon. That's when I started wondering if maybe… It wasn't just a placebo.

But here's where my brain got weird. I kept thinking about this friend of mine, Jake, who'd tried to cut out caffeine years ago and ended up with terrible headaches for weeks. He said he almost gave up on the whole idea until he found matcha. "It didn't fix everything," he told me, "but it made things feel… less chaotic." I laughed at that too—until I realized maybe there was something to it.

So I kept going with matcha for another few weeks. The first time I noticed a real difference was during a meeting where I'd normally be bouncing off the walls trying not to fidget. This time, I stayed calm and focused. It wasn't dramatic or noticeable—just… better than before. In real life, that's all it took.

Still, there were days when I questioned if it was even worth it. Like that one morning where I forgot my matcha powder at home and ended up drinking coffee again just to get through the day. The crash hit harder than usual, and for a while, I thought maybe I'd been wrong about everything.

But then there were other days when things felt… different. Not in an obvious way, but like my brain wasn't racing around trying to keep up with itself. In real life, that's the kind of thing that sticks with you over time. You don't realize how much your body was working overtime just to stay awake.

So here I am now, 90 days in. It hasn't made a difference or made me feel like a superhero. But it has made things… less chaotic. In real life, that's enough for me right now. If anything, matcha feels more like part of my routine than coffee ever did. Maybe that's the real trick—finding something that doesn't demand your attention every single day.

The Turning Point: What Changed in Week Four

The turning point: what changed in week four
The Turning Point: What Changed in Week Four: my energy felt more balanced overall.

Week four. That's when things shifted. From what I read, your body starts adapting to matcha around this time. The L-theanine in matcha (from what I've gathered) creates a different kind of alertness than coffee. It seemed like my body was slowly adjusting to a new normal.

I'd been tracking my energy levels with a simple 1-10 scale each day, nothing scientific. Week one: average of 6.2. Week two: 6.5. Week three: 6.8. Week four: 7.3. The numbers aren't the point—it's the trend I noticed. Over time, I seemed to recover a little better from afternoon slumps, and my focus felt steadier throughout the day. It seemed like the cumulative effect of daily matcha was starting to build.

Then came the work deadline from hell. Two major projects due, back-to-back meetings, and a flight to catch. In the past, I would've loaded up on coffee and hoped for the best. This time, I stuck with my matcha routine. Two cups in the morning, one in the early afternoon. Was I running on pure adrenaline by evening? Absolutely. Did I crash? Honestly? Less than usual. My body seemed to slowly adjust to the sustained demand.

But here's the weird part: the real test came a few days later when I ran out of matcha. No powder, no stores nearby. I had to go back to coffee for a week. The difference was immediate and noticeable. I felt the familiar jittery spike in the morning, followed by the inevitable crash around 2 PM. My sleep was worse too—I was staying up later because my mind felt "on" even when I was tired. It seemed like my body had gotten used to the smoother energy curve that matcha provided. The contrast made me realize how much the switch had actually changed my daily experience.

That week without matcha reinforced something I'd been slowly learning: what works for your body changes over time. When I went back to matcha, I noticed I appreciated it more. It felt like a conscious choice rather than just a habit. My body seemed to slowly adjust to having that steadier energy source back in my routine.

What I Was Doing That Helped

What i was doing that helped
What I Was Doing That Helped: the tools that made matcha part of my day.

Let me be clear: matcha alone wasn't some magic solution. What made the difference was how I incorporated it into my routine. Here's what ended up helping for me:

1. Quality mattered more than I expected.
I started with a cheap powder from the grocery store. It was bitter, gritty, and to be direct, not enjoyable. When I switched to a ceremonial-grade matcha from a specialty shop, the taste was completely different—smooth, slightly sweet, and almost creamy when whisked properly. Enjoyment meant I was more regular, and regularity seemed to matter more than anything else.

2. I stopped trying to replicate coffee.
My first instinct was to help with matcha like coffee—hot water, drink it fast, move on. Once I started whisking it in a bowl (the traditional way) and sipping it slowly, the experience changed. It became something I looked forward to rather than just another caffeine hit. From what I've gathered, the L-theanine in matcha works better when you give it time to do its thing.

3. Timing was everything.
Early on, I made the mistake of drinking matcha too late in the day. Even though matcha has less caffeine than coffee, it still affected my sleep if I had it past 3 PM. Once I moved my cutoff to early afternoon, my evening routines improved dramatically. My sleep quality improved, which in turn made my mornings better. It seemed like a virtuous cycle once I figured out the timing.

4. I tracked the intangible stuff too.
Beyond energy levels, I started noting things like "how clear does my mind feel?" and "am I still thinking about work at 8 PM?" These weren't scientific measurements, but they gave me a better picture of how matcha was affecting my overall wellbeing. Month over month, I noticed patterns in my mood, focus, and even how I responded to stress. The data wasn't perfect, but it helped me understand what was actually changing.

5. I gave it real time to work.
Three months sounds like a long time, but it's actually short for seeing real changes in how your body works. I almost quit after two weeks when nothing seemed different. Looking back, I'm glad I stuck it out. Some of the benefits I noticed—like better sleep and steadier afternoon energy—didn't show up until week six or seven. Time was probably the most important factor.

The takeaway? Supplements aren't magic pills. They work in the context of a broader routine. Matcha helped me feel better, but only because I was also paying attention to sleep, nutrition, and how I was managing stress. From what I read, that's how most people who succeed with dietary changes approach it—they help with it as part of a whole, not a fix for everything.

What Changed in My Body (and What Didn't)

What changed in my body and what didn't
What Changed in My Body (and What Didn't): the honest breakdown.

Here's the part where I have to be honest about what I noticed versus what I hoped would happen. Because let's be real: I wanted matcha to be the answer to everything. Did it deliver? Let's go through it.

What changed:

  • Energy consistency improved. This was the big one. From what I've gathered, the combination of caffeine and L-theanine in matcha creates a different effect than coffee alone. In my experience, this seemed to hold true. Instead of the sharp spike and crash, my energy felt more level throughout the day. It wasn't dramatic—more like a subtle shift that I only noticed when I went back to coffee.
  • Sleep got better. This surprised me. I expected better energy during the day, but I didn't anticipate that cutting back on coffee would improve my sleep. Turns out, the afternoon caffeine from coffee was affecting my sleep more than I realized. Once I switched to matcha (and kept it to mornings/early afternoon), I started falling asleep faster and waking up feeling more rested. My body seemed to slowly adjust to better sleep patterns.
  • Mental clarity was sharper. Not in a "I suddenly became a genius" way, but in a "I could focus on one task without my brain jumping to seventeen other things" way. The difference was noticeable in my work output and how I felt at the end of the day.
  • I drank more water. Preparing matcha meant I was constantly at the kettle, which translated to more hydration overall. Sometimes the smallest changes have the biggest impact, and from what I've read, staying hydrated probably contributed to how I was feeling.

What didn't change (or got worse):

  • My caffeine dependency didn't disappear. Matcha still has caffeine, and I still relied on it every morning. I didn't become some monk who transcended the need for stimulants. If anything, I became more aware of how much I needed that ritual.
  • The taste didn't grow on me as much as I hoped. Some people say you start loving matcha after a while. For me, it went from "actively bad" to "tolerable with honey." I learned to enjoy it, but I never got to the point where I'd drink it for pleasure alone. The benefits kept me going, not the flavor.
  • Weight loss? Nope. I saw some influencers claim matcha helped them lose weight. From what I read, any effect would be minimal at best. I didn't experience any noticeable change in my weight or body composition over 90 days. In retrospect, I probably should have been more skeptical going in.
  • I still had bad days. Matcha didn't support my anxiety or make me immune to stress. Some mornings, I still felt tired. Some afternoons, I still craved a nap. The difference was that these fluctuations seemed less extreme—like my baseline had shifted slightly upward.

The honest truth? Matcha made some things better, didn't fix others, and probably helped more through the habits it encouraged than through any magical properties. I seemed to recover a little better overall, my body felt more balanced, and I learned to pay more attention to how I was treating it. That alone made the 90-day experiment worthwhile.

Why I'm Still Taking It

Why i'm still taking it

Three months in, and I'm still drinking matcha almost every morning. Here's why I decided to keep going:

1. The routine became meaningful.
The whisking process—measuring, heating water to the right temperature, the actual whisking—became a form of meditation for me. It gave me a reason to slow down in the morning instead of just chugging coffee while checking my phone. That intentional start to my day seemed to set a different tone overall.

2. The benefits were real (even if subtle).
I know "subtle" sounds like I'm downplaying the results, but that's exactly what they were: subtle but regular. Over time, those small improvements added up. My energy was steadier, my sleep was better, and I felt more in control of how I started each day. It seemed like the kind of change that compounds over time.

3. It reminded me that small changes matter.
I spent years looking for the one big fix—better diet, more exercise, different supplements. Matcha taught me that showing up regularly with small, sustainable changes can be more effective than occasional dramatic overhauls. From what I've read, that's often how real transformation happens, even if it's less exciting to post about on social media.

4. It was cheaper than my coffee habit.
High-quality matcha is expensive upfront, but a little goes a long way. One tin lasted me about three weeks. Compared to my previous daily latte habit, I was actually spending less money while drinking something that seemed better for me overall.

I'm not saying matcha is the answer for everyone. But for me, it became something I actually looked forward to—a small, intentional choice that rippled into other positive changes. My body seemed to slowly adjust to this new ritual, and I'm curious to see how it continues to affect me over the next 90 days.

The Part I Got Wrong

What i'd tell someone starting out
What I'd Tell Someone Starting Out: lessons from 90 days.

If you're thinking about trying matcha as a coffee replacement (or just want to add it to your routine), here's what I wish someone had told me at the start:

1. Don't expect miracles in week one.
I almost gave up after ten days because I felt no different. The real changes took weeks to appear. Give it at least a month before deciding whether it's working for you. From what I read, the adaptogenic effects build up over time.

2. Spend a bit more on quality.
Ceremonial-grade matcha isn't that much more expensive, but the difference in taste and experience is huge. Cheap matcha is bitter and chalky; good matcha is smooth and almost sweet. Quality made me more regular, and regularity was the key to seeing results.

3. Learn the proper preparation.
I know it seems fussy, but whisking your matcha in a bowl actually makes a difference. It dissolves better, mixes more evenly, and the ritual forces you to slow down. Plus, it just tastes better when it's properly prepared. The traditional method exists for a reason.

4. Pay attention to timing.
Whatever you do, don't drink matcha after 3 PM. The caffeine content, while lower than coffee, can still mess with your sleep if you're sensitive. Set a cutoff time and stick to it. Better energy during the day isn't worth worse sleep at night.

5. Track more than just energy.
Energy is the obvious metric, but pay attention to other things: sleep quality, mental clarity, how you feel in the afternoon, how quickly you fall asleep at night. These can give you a more complete picture of what's actually changing. Over time, you might notice patterns that help you understand how matcha affects you specifically.

6. Be patient with the taste.
Matcha isn't naturally sweet (unless you get flavored varieties). It took me about six weeks to stop grimacing with every sip. Now I actually enjoy it, but that took time. Don't give up on it just because the first few times were rough.

7. Don't help with it as a support-all.
Matcha helped me, but it wasn't a magic solution. It worked best as part of a broader approach: better sleep, more intentional mornings, less afternoon caffeine. The habits it encouraged mattered as much as the matcha itself.

The bottom line? If you're curious, try it. Give it real time to work, invest in quality, and pay attention to how your body responds. You might be surprised by what you notice over 90 days.

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions

Q: Can matcha replace coffee entirely?
A: It depends on your caffeine needs. Matcha has roughly 1/3 the caffeine of coffee, so if you need a strong jolt to function, you might miss that. I found that two cups of matcha gave me enough energy without the crash, but your mileage may vary. It seemed like my body adjusted over time, though.

Q: How much matcha should I drink per day?
A: Most people do well with 1-2 cups daily. That's roughly 1-2 teaspoons of powder. More than that and you might start feeling jittery or have trouble sleeping. I stuck to two cups most days and kept my second cup before 2 PM. Listening to your body matters here.

Q: What's the difference between ceremonial and culinary grade matcha?
A: Ceremonial grade is higher quality, made from younger leaves, and designed for drinking straight. Culinary grade is slightly more bitter and better for cooking or smoothies. If you're drinking it as a coffee replacement, go with ceremonial. From what I've read, the taste difference is significant enough to affect how regularly you'll use it.

Q: Does matcha help with weight loss?
A: Any effect would be minimal at best. Matcha contains compounds that might support metabolism, but it's not a weight loss solution on its own. I didn't notice any changes in my weight over 90 days. If anything, the energy improvement helped me be more active, which might have contributed indirectly.

Q: Can I use a regular blender instead of a bamboo whisk?
A: Technically yes, but the texture won't be the same. A bamboo whisk (chasen) creates that signature frothy texture and ensures the powder fully dissolves. I tried using a blender at first and it just didn't feel the same. The whisk is worth the investment if you're serious about making matcha a regular habit.

Q: What temperature should the water be?
A: Around 175°F (80°C). Boiling water makes matcha bitter, so let it cool for a few minutes after boiling. I used a variable-temperature kettle, which made this easy, but you can also just let your kettle sit for five minutes after turning it off.

Q: Can I add milk or sweeteners?
A: Yes, but traditionally matcha is drunk without dairy. I found that a little honey or maple syrup helped me appreciate the flavor more, and eventually I got used to drinking it plain. Dairy can reduce the absorption of some beneficial compounds, so if you're drinking it for health reasons, you might want to skip the milk. It seemed like drinking it plain allowed me to notice the effects more clearly.

Q: How long does a tin of matcha last?
A: It depends on how much you use. A 30g tin (which is standard) lasts me about three weeks at two cups per day. High-quality matcha can go bad after a few months, so try to use it within a month or two of opening. I stored mine in the fridge to keep it fresh longer.

Q: Is matcha safe during pregnancy?
A: This is one area where you should consult your doctor. Matcha contains caffeine, and most sources recommend limiting caffeine during pregnancy. The general consensus is that moderate caffeine intake is fine, but it's best to check with your healthcare provider for personalized advice.

Q: Will I experience caffeine withdrawal when switching from coffee to matcha?
A: Possibly, but it should be milder than quitting coffee cold turkey. I experienced some tiredness for the first few days, but it passed quickly. If you're concerned, you could slowly reduce your coffee intake while increasing matcha to help your body adjust more smoothly.

Conclusion: What 90 Days Taught Me

Three months of matcha instead of coffee changed more than just my morning routine. It shifted how I think about energy, habits, and what it means to make sustainable changes.

Was it dramatic? No. Did it transform my life? Not even close. But it made things better in subtle, compounding ways. Better mornings, steadier energy, and a new ritual that I actually looked forward to. Sometimes the small wins matter most.

If you're on the fence about trying matcha, my advice is simple: give it a real chance. Don't quit after a week because you feel no difference. Track what matters to you, invest in quality, and pay attention to the patterns over time. You might be surprised by what you notice.

For me, matcha became more than just a coffee replacement. It became a reminder that the small, intentional choices we make every day add up over time. My body seemed to slowly adjust to this new approach, and I'm still here, 90 days later, whisking my bowl of green every morning.

And to be direct, that's enough for me.

Referenced research: PMID 28914794 | PMID 24004895 | PMID 28709534

Related reading: Why I Switched From Coffee to Matcha (And What Changed) | I Drank Green Tea Every Morning for 30 Days — Here Is What Changed | I Quit Fish Oil for 30 Days: What Happened Surprised Me | Why I Switched My Matcha to the Afternoon (And What Changed)

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

My Honest Review After 8 Weeks of Daily Matcha

What Caffeine in Matcha Feels Like Compared to Coffee

The Best Time to Drink Matcha — What Actually Worked for Me